Travelling light is a challenge for most of us because, "What if I need it?" and, "I better pack it just in case!" But with the risk of losing luggage and recent increase in surcharges, we are making an effort to pack lighter. Luckily for us it is truly possible to pack for an entire week (more if you are willing to do laundry) with just a carry-on suitcase.
Think about where you're going and what you will be doing
- Write down your daily itinerary/ activities and reference the list when organizing your outfits.
- Select a colour palette and stick to it!
Create a packing list
- All tops should coordinate with all bottoms;
- All outerwear items should coordinate with all tops and bottoms;
- Layering is a great way to get lots of combinations;
- Bring a belt that can be worn at the waist and hips;
- Bring one pair of casual earrings and one pair of dressy earrings;
- Bring a convertible piece of jewellery (can be worn as a long necklace, short necklace, and bracelet); and,
- Pack flip-flops; they take up very little space in your bag, are easy to wear, and come in handy as slippers for the hotel room.
- Mix and match everything;
- Reference your daily itinerary/ activities list so you can plan your outfits - if you're going to be walking all day, start with your footwear and build your outfit around that;
- Using styling tricks to change the appearance of your pieces; try belting, tying, and tucking;
- Forget the "just in case" items, they just take up space.
- TRY EVERYTHING ON!
- Roll your clothing instead of folding - this minimized wrinkles and maximizes packing space.